May 1, 2010

5K

Man, I get it now...running actually is fun! And running on a treadmill is the pits...! Here's the story: So, I really didn't have enough time to run as much as I wanted to before the race. The longest I ever got was 2 miles before getting bored out of my mind on the treadmill, Marshall crying, etc etc...so I really started to doubt myself come race day. I knew I could run at least 2 miles so I told myself after mile 1 I would start. Well, the self-doubt kicked in more after that and I really started to get nervous (I haven't seriously fun ANYTHING since I was like 12) I kept thinking after a few more steps, then I'll go. Well, finally I knew if I walked the whole 5K I would be so dissappointed in myself especially seeing how I was planning on RUNNING the whole thing, so about 1/2 way I took off...I couldn't take it anymore!!! I had to run! Walking wasn't enough...I've never felt that before. So, yes I only did 1/2 but man...it was a piece of cake! I crossed the finish line without any pain or aching legs (like I thought I would). I was barely just getting warmed up it felt like...I was soooo surprised! So, man BRING IT ON!!! Looking back I see I could have done the whole thing with NO PROBLEM so I am a little disappointed but am really, really excited for the next one and running the whole thing. Why not, right? I love it. Nothing beats crossing that finish line, I tell ya!

So bring on #2, I'm so ready. Lesson of the day---don't doubt yourself. Like Davis said, "You never know what you can do until you do it." So true. Shout out to my running inspiration...Emily, Page, Nikki, Jessica, Stacie...

*I couldn't upload any pictures (internet is lame-o). I will later.*

11 comments:

Courtney said...

You go girl!! Where did you run? Running definitely can be fun, especially if you're running with a friend/friends, and outside is definitely better than inside! Glad you had fun.

Cicily said...

Way to go Laura! I always say don't say you hate running until you run in a race and cross that finish line. It makes running soooo much more fun. And when you train it's like you're training with a purpose. Looks like you caught the running bug. Good luck with your next race and I'm sure the ones to come after that!!

Cicily

Shellee said...

good job loo loo. I don't like running too much myself but it would be fun to do a 5k just ro cross the finish line.

Davis and Laura said...

Thanks ya'll. Its a great feeling...

Davis and Laura said...

Oh, Race for the Cure!

Anonymous said...

good for you Laura. We'll have to plan a run for when I am in St Louis this summer. Hopefully I will be up to it. ( this is from mom...I don't know who has logged in on my computer)

w and w said...

so fun to see you there! Wasn't it great? Way to reach your goal. Before you know it you'll be a marathoner!

Mary said...

The words "running is actually fun" will never leave my lips. Wait until you do a 10K. That's a beast.

Teann said...

Laura, I needed to hear that! I am "running" my first 5K in a couple weeks - in Boise actually! I'm a little nervous since I haven't been training much - same excuses: kids. :) But I'm hoping to have a similar experience like you: when it comes down to it the adrenaline will kick in and I'll be able to just magically make it to the finish line! :)

Our Growing Family said...

Good for you! Running is a good mind clearer too! Next time start off running and you will be all good!! You are such a positive thinker-thanks for sharing!!

Mark, Stacy, & Jack said...

Wahoo Laura! running 5ks are the best, cuz it's not too far, but it gives you a good sense of accomplishment and it's just a fun race. Congrats!