August 29, 2009

How He Got Here...

So...finally! I get around to letting everyone in on my birthing story...and to be totally honest there is nothing special here just drama after drama! And I hope I don't scare any first time moms...

Well, looking back I realized that this whole labor and delivery was somewhat of a tramatic experience for me and have heard people say how once they have the baby you forget all about the delivery but that unfortunately will not be the case for me. It was intense, I will try to be brief.

On Tuesday, August 11th I went in for my regular OB appointment and when they took my blood pressure it was really high (like 181/101). It kinda scared my OB so we took my blood pressure again and even though it was lower she still sent me to the hospital to get checked out. I went into the hospital thinking we would be home, baby-less in about an hour but after running some tests the nurse came back and told us, "Looks like you'll be having a baby today!" Well, I freaked out and kinda panicked but came to my senses. I was then moved to a birthing room and got my IV...which was kinda exciting. I really thought that we would have our baby sometime that morning! It was about 11 am then.

The plan was to enduce me with a medicine called "Cervidel". This is put up inside you and KILLED!!!! I cried. This helps your body to dialate more and then after 12 HOURS on this they would put me on Pitocin. Well, after waiting 6 hours for the Cervidel to be put in place I was getting really anxious to get things rolling and was hoping that it would be less then 12 hours for my body to dialate to where it needed to be BUT I didn't. There was a lot of waiting and no progress in the 12 hours. By this time we were getting very frustrating and impatient. So the doctors went ahead and started the Pitocin even though I was only dialated to a 2...after 12 hours. Yeah, very fun. Then, after about another 8-10 hours of waiting for the Pitocin to kick things into gear we still had no progress. Yes, very frustrating! I was having regular contractions which was good news but no progress like we wanted. And in the mean time I had gotten my epidural...heaven! So after hours of waiting and tears starting to come, we demanded to see our doctor. She came in and me, being very tired and frustrated asked if they just let people sit in hospital beds forever! She could tell I was upset so we decided to start anew. They took me off of the Pitocin and epidural and decided to let me eat (I had only been eating Jello and chicken broth for 24 hours) and walk around a little. BAD IDEA. I did eat but by the time my epidural wore off I was in full on labor and was in a TON of pain...so much that after one contraction I threw up all my dinner and screamed to get the doctor back in to hook me up to the edidural again. Well, by that time we were all exhausted and depressed. So we prayed...and it worked. They checked me at about 10pm Wednesday night and I was dialated only at a 2 (can you believe after all that time?) but by 2 am that morning my water had broke and I was dialated to a 9 1/2. Anyone believe in miracles? I do! And it really was. Babies really do come when they are suppose to. Well, we waited about another hour for me to dialate all the way they I started pushing. Ha...the other fun part. To make it short I pushed for 3 hours until the doctor came in and gave me the option of continuing to push and use the vacuum to suck Marshall out or just get a c-section. I decided to use my last energy to continue to push...oh, I forgot to mention the part where I went spacey and lost my mind, hit rock bottom, wanted to give up and barfed again...moving on...after 4 long hours of pushing, Marshall finally came out! I heard his horse little scream and I cried partly due to relief that it was all over and because of happiness.

Looking back, of course, it was all worth it but it was really hard and recovery was hard too. No one let me in on that, but as the days have gone on I am able to walk by myself again, actually pee and move around like normal. The human body is an amazing thing. Well, that's about it...I tried to brief but its a big story. I really am doing well now and only cry a little out of trama when I think back on it now...ha. :) It might be a while til number 2 comes along...

Here are some recent pictures of Marshall. He is changing SO MUCH everyday and can finally claim some part of him-he has my eyes. :)





10 comments:

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

Laura I had a similiar experience with Raylee. Not to that extent but pretty close but Tytan's experience was ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT AND AMAZING!!! So maybe your second one will be different!! I cried with Relief and happiness after having Raylee and pushing for 2 hours, in the hospital for 24 hours, throwing up as well (which I did with Tytan as well), being put on pitocin as well!! But when you get to hold your baby in your arms and your shaking because of all the hard work, it is an amazing experience huh!!! Well congrats on the new little addition, I love him already

Shellee said...

I could relate. I am glad someone know a what it's like to wait forever. I would have taken throwing up over a kidney infection and a root canal. Give yourself 4 years and you might forget the trauma. I don't know though.

Sara said...

Congratulations Laura (and Davis of course!). Marshall is absolutely PERFECT! Can't wait to meet him!

Unknown said...

Ya, isn't giving birth a lot of fun? haha. They don't tell you a lot of stuff about the during and the after. Being induced is not fun, but worth it. You guys look great as parents! He's a cutie!

Abrie said...

Laura congratulations on your little one!! He is so so adorable! So I stumbled upon your blog and thought I would add it to my list...hopefully that's ok! Feel free to add ours if you'd like: www.lgajones.blogspot.com. I'm glad you guys are doing well!
-Abrie

Emma and Dan said...

Thanks for adding more pictures. He's such a cutie!
Your baby story sounds pretty awful, but you were amazing to find the energy after 3 hours to get him out without a C section.
#2 will be better. :) Good thing you don't have to even think about that for a while. Enjoy your little one! I can't wait to see him. When can we come by?

Rachel said...

I had a traumatic birth with My daughter.. it took a year and a half before I could even talk about it! (and I still havent written the story down) But, I jsut wanted to say, that maybe there is something you can learn from this! ( search your heart and pray lots, and you will be guided in your next birth whenever it may be.)

Much love to you and your new love!

Davis and Laura said...

Thanks everyone! And I must admit too...Marshall is pretty dang cute!

Jessica said...

Awe sweet girl! What a rough time. Glad you are such a trooper and you have an AMAZING blessing to show for all your hard and exhausting work!

He's precious and I'm so glad you're enjoying him and motherhood so much :)

Page said...

Oh, you poor thing. I am so sorry you had to go through that. He sure is cute though!